This is one of Ma Rani’s original recipes from her cook book. We love it as a vegetarian starter or as a light meal and it is definitely one of our family favourites as it is on the table at least once a week as well as being favourite at our supper club! We hope you enjoy making it!
- 2 medium aubergines
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped into small chunks
- 2 tbs of vegetable oil
- 1tsp cumin seed
- 1tsp mustard seed
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tbs dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1tbs freshly grated root ginger
- 2 tsp garam masala
- salt & pepper to taste
- 15g fresh coriander leaves
- half a lemon
- 4g fresh green chilli, finely chopped
- Wash and slice the aubergines in two and scoop out the flesh.
- Squeeze the lemon juice on to the aubergine skins to stop them discolouring.
- Fry off the cumin seed in the hot oil for a few seconds.
- Chop the onion, add to the pan and continue to fry until softened and slightly browned.
- Add the mustard seed and turmeric and stir.
- Add the garlic, root ginger and green chilli and stir.
- Add the dried fenugreek leaves, stir and allow to cook for 2 – 3 minutes
- Add the garam masala to the pan and stir thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Next add the flesh of the aubergine to the pan and stir.
- Chop the tomatoes into small chunks, add to the pan and stir.
- Cook on a gentle heat for 10 minutes stirring intermittently.
- Finally chop the coriander leaves roughly and add to the pan.
- Spoon the mixture back into the aubergine skins, put the empty skins on top of each filled skin and place in the middle of a foiled baking tray.
- Cook in a medium oven for 25 minutes.
- Serve with a fresh salad of cucumber, tomato and red onion with a spoon of natural yoghurt on the side.