This dessert evolved from something which I only made as an accompaniment to Burfi (hand crafted Punjabi sweets) to something which I make quite regularly as a refreshing palate cleanser after one of our own family feasts. We haven’t tried it at the supper club yet as I have been adapting it but I think I have found the final version! My neighbour has two big pear trees so I am lucky to have fresh organic pears to use which are handed to me over the fence! Sometimes it’s nice to finish off a filling supper with something light and refreshing! I do hope you enjoy this dessert as much as my family and I do!
PEARS WITH CARDAMOMS AND CINNAMON
It is best to prepare this dish a few hours before serving because it really does taste lovely if thoroughly chilled in your fridge. You could also make this dessert the night before and leave to chill overnight.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Oven Temperature: 180 c / gas mark 4
You will need:
4 Large Pears (or 6 if you can only find small ones)
2 teaspoons (2 x 5 ml) Green or White Cardamom seeds – finely ground
1/2 teaspoon (1 x 2.5 ml) Ground Cinnamon
5 fl. oz (150 ml) Orange Juice
2 fl. oz (60 ml) Orange Liqueur (optional)
2 tablespoons ( 2 x 15 ml) Soft Brown Sugar
- Peel the pears thinly.
- Cut them into quarters and remove the cores
- Place the pears in a shallow baking dish large enough to take all the pears in a single layer.
- Sprinkle on the ground cardamom seeds, ground cinnamon and soft brown sugar.
- Gently pour on the orange juice and orange liqueur
- Turn the pears over a few times to ensure they are all well coated with the liquid.
- Cover the dish with foil or a tight-fitting lid and bake for 30 minutes.
- At 30 minutes test the pears with a skewer. The pears should be tender. If not return to the oven for another 10 minutes or until tender.
- Once baked until tender, transfer the pears to a serving dish with all the juices from the oven dish, cover and refrigerate for 4 – 5 hours.
- Serve with plain ice-cream as an accompaniment or single cream. Orange or Pear Kulfi are also great as accompaniments.